Spanish Residency Application: Documents required September 2012

Spansih residency

Following on from our recent articles relating to changes in the Spanish Residency Application procedure (read the articles HERE), we can inform you of the following information, based on recent guidelines that we have been given.

We strongly advise you to contact your own local police station / immigration office before submitting your own Spanish Residency applications. Alternatively, contact us and we can make enquiries for you.


All applications for Spanish Residency must present:

  1. Correctly completed EX18: Spanish Residency Application form (Instructions here.)
  2. Original and copy of applicants valid (ie not expired) passport or national Identity card. In the event that this document has expired, a copy of the expired document and proof of renewal will be required.
  3. Bank receipt to declare Spanish Residency Application taxes paid, Modelo 790 (currently 10.30€).
  4. The following documents, subject to the applicant´s personal situation…


If the Applicant is employment by a third party (ie. with a Spanish work contract), they must submit at least one of the following:

  1. A letter from the employer that includes the Name, address and CIF number of the company and the Company´s Social Security number (Código Cuenta Cotización en la Seguridad Social).
  2. A certificate of employment (including the details stated above).
  3. A work contract that has already been presented at the INSS (Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social)   .
  4. Proof of registration in the Social Security (alta en seguridad social).


If the Applicant is self-employed, they must submit at least one of the following:

  1. Proof of inscription in the “Censo de Actividades Económicas”  (Modelo 036 or 037).
  2. Proof of inscription in the “Registro Mercantil” for a Company.
  3. Proof of inscription (Alta) in Social Security.

Permission for your details to be checked at the TGSS (Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social) can also be given.


If the Applicant is not working, all of the following must be submitted:

  1. Proof of health insurance for the period of intended stay in Spain (this does not apply to pensioners who can provide a copy of their registered E-121 or S-1 forms).
  2. Proof of sufficient funds (Pensioners must prove they are in receipt of regular pension payments).


If the Applicant is a Student, there are two possibilities:

  1. A course registration document, proof of private health insurance or the EHIC that covers the intended period of residence and a declaration of sufficient funds.
  2. Proof of participation in an inter EU educational exchange programme.


The above information is provided solely as a guideline to assist you with your Spanish Residency application. Always check with your local office before submitting your application.

Procedures and requirements are changed on a regular basis, we will continue to publish updates as we are informed about them.

To keep informed about our latest updates, just click HERE.

For more details (in Spanish) Click Here

By Lisa Sadleir.


© Copyright 2012 Lisa Sadleir, All rights Reserved. Written For: Costa Consulting Bureau

We provide invaluable advice and assistance to people living in and moving to Spain ... We look forward to saving you time, money and frustration by overcoming the hurdles of Spanish bureaucracy.

Posted in Legal Documents, NIE and Residency, Relocation Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>
Expat & Relocation Advice in Spain
Expat & Relocation Advice in Spain


Type your search in the search box.

Relocation Services

Expat & Relocation Advice in Spain