Is it worth trying to import your UK car to Spain or would it be cheaper to buy a car once you get to Spain? We are happy to provide you with a no obligation quote for the cost of importing your UK car to Spain, in order to help you make this decision. All we require is a copy of your V5 Log book.
In order to correctly import a UK registered vehicle to Spain you will require the following documents:
- Original vehicle UK Logbook (V5)
- Copy of the Passport of the owner
- Copy of valid Residencia of the owner
- Proof of address in Spain (house deeds or current Padron certificate)
The cost of importing a vehicle, such as a UK car to Spain, is based on calculations and prices decided by the official authorities, including:
- A registration tax (or certifícate of exemption) – Impuesto de matriculación.
- A road/traffic tax (or certifícate of exemption) – impuesto de circulación del ayuntamiento.
- V.A.T. (or certificate of exemption) – IVA.
The calculations are based on make, model, category and age of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle and carbon emissions. Be careful of companies who give quotes without having seen your official vehicle documentation.
We strongly recommend you obtain two or three quotes before proceeding with importing a UK car to Spain … you will be amazed by the differing prices companies in Spain charge!
You must also budget for the special ITV (Spanish MOT) which is currently approximately €125 for cars and €197 for motorbikes. (Please check current prices with your local ITV centre).
Also, any alterations required to adhere to Spanish traffic laws (usually this entails changing headlights).
With the exception of commercial vehicles, most right hand drive vehicles can be easily imported into Spain without too many complications.
For a no obligation quote and to find out how to avoid paying import duty, Contact Us .
By Lisa Sadleir
© Copyright 2012 Lisa Sadleir, All rights Reserved. Written For: Costa Consulting Bureau